ISO 16852:2016 specifies the requirements for flame arresters that prevent flame transmission when explosive gas-air or vapour-air mixtures are present. It establishes uniform principles for the classification, basic construction and information for use, including the marking of flame arresters, and specifies test methods to verify the safety requirements and determine safe limits of use.
This International Standard is valid for pressures ranging from 80 kPa to 160 kPa and temperatures ranging from −20 °C to + 150 °C.
NOTE 1 For flame arresters with operational conditions inside the scope, but outside atmospheric conditions, see 7.4.
NOTE 2 In designing and testing flame arresters for operation under conditions other than those specified above, this International Standard can be used as a guide. However, additional testing related specifically to the intended conditions of use is advisable. This is particularly important when high temperatures and pressures are applied. The test mixtures might need to be modified in these cases.
NOTE 3 An additional standard IMO MSC/Circ. 677 for maritime application from IMO (International Maritime Organization) exists.
ISO 16852:2016 is not applicable to the following:
- external safety-related measurement and control equipment that might be required to keep the operational conditions within the established safe limits;
NOTE 4 Integrated measurement and control equipment, such as integrated temperature and flame sensors as well as parts which, for example, intentionally melt (retaining pin), burn away (weather hoods) or bend (bimetallic strips), is within the scope of this International Standard.
- flame arresters used for explosive mixtures of vapours and gases, which tend to self-decompose (e.g. acetylene) or which are chemically unstable;
- flame arresters used for carbon disulphide, due to its special properties;
- flame arresters whose intended use is for mixtures other than gas-air or vapour-air mixtures (e.g. higher oxygen-nitrogen ratio, chlorine as oxidant, etc.);
- flame arrester test procedures for internal-combustion compression ignition engines;
- fast acting valves, extinguishing systems and other explosion isolating systems.
Status: PublishedPublication date: 2016-10
Edition: 2Number of pages: 50
Technical Committee: ISO/TC 21 Equipment for fire protection and fire fighting
- ICS :
- 13.220.10 Fire-fighting
This standard contributes to the following Sustainable Development Goal:
Buy this standard
|std 1 166|
|std 2 166||Paper|
ISO 16852:2008/Cor 1:2008Withdrawn
ISO 16852:2008/Cor 2:2009
A standard is reviewed every 5 years
Stage: 90.92 (To be revised)
Will be replaced byUnder development
ISO/IEC DIS 80079-49
Got a question?
Check out our FAQs
Monday to Friday - 09:00-12:00, 14:00-17:00 (UTC+1)
Keep up to date with ISO
Sign up to our newsletter for the latest news, views and product information.